Over the years, we’ve used many green building products — clay paints, bamboo and cork flooring, reclaimed slate countertops, citrus solvents, and straw bales, to name just a few. New products come on the market every day, and we try to keep abreast of the highest performing, most reliable ones.
For one-stop shopping, Green Building Supply is a great source for flooring, paints and finishes, cabinets and countertops, and home energy products. From their website you can order products from many different companies.
In case you’d like to research products individually, we’ve also listed some good suppliers (many of them the same as at Green Building Supply) below.
PAINTS AND PRIMERS
- AFM Safecoat® — A wide variety of non-toxic sealers, finishes, and paints
- ECOS Paints — A wide variety of non-toxic sealers, finishes, and paints
- Heritage Natural Finishes — Biodegradable, all-natural finishes made from sustainable resources
- Bioshield Aquaresin — Water-based, zero-VOC wood stain finish for interior and exterior applications
- Tung oil — Also known as chinawood oil, tung oil is made from pressing the seed from the nut of the tung tree. Make sure you buy 100% pure tung oil, without additives.
- Paper — Fine Homebuilding has a good blog post about paper countertops
- Richlite — Made from lots of different recycled fibers – paper, blue jeans, banana peels, burlap bags, etc.; material was used originally for ramps in skateboard parks
- PaperStone® — 100% post-consumer recycled paper
- ShetkaStone — 100% post-consumer and post-industrial recycled fibers, including cardboard, newsprint, and retired U.S. currency
- Bamboo — Bamboo is a rapidly-renewable resource. Teragren makes countertops as well as flooring.
- Marmoleum® — Natural linoleum made from a compound of linseed oil, rosins, cork flour, limestone, and wood flour adhered to a non-toxic jute backing. Most often used for flooring, but is also a good choice for countertops.
- Glass — Vetrazzo 100% recycled glass countertops
- Corian® — Contains some pre-consumer recycled content (some colors are made from factory cut-offs) and is GREENGUARD™ Indoor Air Quality Certified
- Quartzite — Caesarstone® recycles 97% of water used in processing and uses recycled material when possible. Zodiaq® uses some recycled material and is GREENGUARD™ certified.
- Reclaimed slate — NPC has installed several reclaimed slate countertops using slate from PACA, the local preservation association.
- Reclaimed wood — Properly finished, reclaimed wood is a durable and environmentally-friendly countertop choice
- Crystal — A good choice if indoor air quality is an issue
- Bamboo — Look for sustainably-harvested strand-woven bamboo. Teragren and Eco-Timber are good choices.
- Marmoleum® — Natural linoleum made from a compound of linseed oil, rosins, cork flour, limestone, and wood flour adhered to a non-toxic jute backing. Marmoleum now comes prefinished, so waxing/stripping is not required. A healthy, solvent-free adhesive, such as Envirotec®, should be used to install.
- Cork — Can come prefinished. If not prefinished, be sure to use a healthy finish and adhesive.
- Hardwood — Hardwood is long-lasting and beautiful, but look for Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified hardwoods. The FSC oversees the responsible production and consumption of forest products.
- Ceramic or stone tile — Durable, allergen-free, and often made from recycled material
We’ve worked with most of the products listed above, and can advise you on the pros and cons of the various options. Just give Julie a call at 217-344-5131 if you have any questions!