6 Satisfying Reasons to Install Solar Panels Now
(especially if you live in Champaign County!)
- The City of Urbana has just announced a 2017 limited-time group buy program for Champaign County residents and business owners which will even further reduce the price of installing solar on your property! The program, Solar Urbana – Champaign 2.0, uses volume purchasing to get a price per watt much lower than any individual buyer could.
- People need power, and would usually prefer to get it from a local, non-polluting source. If you have to buy power anyway, it makes logical sense to get it from a cleaner, cheaper, local source such as solar panels, rather than from polluting, expensive fossil fuel utilities.
- It’s gotten a LOT cheaper to install. According to the latest report by the Department of Energy’s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, the installed price of solar photovoltaic (PV) power systems in the United States fell substantially in the last 5 years. Since electric utilities have little incentive to control costs, installing solar panels has become very cost effective. In many states, solar companies are able to underprice utilities already.
- For now, you can get money back from solar rebates. For existing homes and new construction (no rentals), there is currently a 30% federal tax credit, with no upper limit. Other credits and rebates may be available if you have your system installed by a certified installer. In central Illinois the most common incentives are Net Metering, Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit, Special Assessment for Solar Energy Systems, USDA Rural Energy for America (REAP), Modified Accelerated Cost-Recovery System (MACRS), and Green Energy Loans.
- Solar panels add value to your home. According to a 2015 report from the DOE’s Lawrence Berkley Laboratory, solar panels can add value to your home when it’s time to sell.
- The technology has vastly improved. It used to be generally thought that the Midwest had too many cloudy days to make solar energy systems worthwhile. But over the years solar technology has evolved to get results in a wide variety of climates. Champaign – Urbana has greater solar potential than Germany, as shown in this National Renewable Energy Laboratory map, and Germany has become a world leader in solar energy use.
Find out if solar is right for you — click here for a free site assessment.
You can find out more about solar panel installation through the Solar Urbana – Champaign Group Buy Program and see the Solar Power Hour schedule at GrowSolar.
And be sure to visit our Solar Project gallery to see recent installations of solar panels for homes and businesses!
“I’d put my money on the Sun and Solar Energy, what a source of Power! I hope we don’t have to wait until oil and coal run out, before we tackle that.” –Thomas Edison